San Miguel de Allende is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Mexico. Every year, millions of people come to this beautiful city to enjoy its stunning scenery, fascinating history, and vibrant culture.
The main aspects of San Miguel de Allende that make it such a great place to visit are the food, the culture, and of course the people. But there’s also a whole bunch of activities you can do without paying a penny. Let’s talk about them!
1. Stroll the Historic Centro – San Miguel de Allende’s historic downtown is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the best-preserved Spanish colonial downtowns in all of Mexico.
2. Check out the Parroquia de San Miguel Arcangel – The most iconic building in town, this 18th-century church is worth a visit for its architecture alone.
3. Visit El Jardín Allende – This central park is a great place to relax or watch some of the public art on display.
4. Make a stop at the Mercado de Artesanías – This market is a great place to find locally made handicrafts, souvenirs, and gifts.
5. The Museum of Alternative & Sustainable Art offers free tours of its thought-provoking exhibitions Wednesday through Sunday at noon and 4 pm.
6. Get a Cultural Fix at Fabrica la Aurora – This former textile factory now houses galleries, artists’ studios, shops, and restaurants. It’s also home to frequent cultural events such as concerts, movie screenings, and dance performances.
7. See a Free Flamenco Show – Every Tuesday at 8:30 pm you can see a free flamenco show at La Cava de Don Viper near the main square.
8. Learn about Tequila at La Cava de Don Viper – This free tasting and tour of a working tequila distillery are offered daily at 3:30 pm.
9. Explore the Boutique Hotels in San Miguel de Allende – Many of the town’s beautiful boutique hotels offer free tours of their facilities.
10. Wander the cobblestone streets – The charming colonial-style buildings lining the streets of San Miguel de Allende are a sight to behold, each one painted in a lively array of hues.
If you’re planning a trip to San Miguel de Allende, there are a few things you should consider. First and foremost, be sure to bring plenty of sunblock! The city is located at a high altitude, which means the sun is very strong. You’ll also want to pack comfortable shoes, as you’ll be doing a lot of walking around.
Above all else, make sure to have a wonderful time on your visit to San Miguel de Allende!
Do you have any tips for what other activities you can do for free in San Miguel de Allende? Share your ideas in the comments below.